The winter season has come, you’ll enjoy the beautiful landscape and do new activities. Unfortunately, it comes with an unbearable cold. To cope with this uncomfortable situation, we recommend using the best pellet stove. This will provide the necessary heat for you and your family to stay warm.
In this guide, we’ll discuss all the necessary information about the best pellet stove and how to secure one. Not only this, but we’ll also reveal the best pellet stove available in the market below based on honest feedback.
If you’re In a hurry, here are our best picks for the best pellet stove :
- US Stove 5660 Bay Front Pellet Stove– Most Convenient to Operate
- Castle Pellet Stoves 12327 Serenity Wood Pellet Stove– Best for Small Space Areas
- Comfortbilt Pellet Stove HP22– Best for Keeping the Room Warm Always
- Cleveland Iron Works Small Pellets Stove– Most User Friendly
- Comfortbilt HP22i Pellet Stove Insert Carbon Black – Most Safe to Operate
- PelPro 2,500 sq. ft. Pellet Stove– Best for Large Spaces
- Comfortbilt HP22 Pellet Stove Burgundy
Top 7 Best Pellet Stove on The Market 2020 Reviews
1. US Stove 5660 Bay Front Pellet Stove– Most Convenient to Operate
Do you need an adjustable pellet stove that’ll meet virtually all heat requirements? US 5660 pellet stove is what you’re looking for. This machine is specifically made putting your convenience as the topmost priority.
Of the many sumptuous features of this product, is the variation to the heat settings. It has an impressive 6 heat settings which make it comfortable to adjust to suit your needs at any given time. Also, the item is equipped with a 120 CFM blower. This is responsible for the even distribution of heat in the room automatically in no time.
The pellet stove is stress-free to set up and use. As it incorporates a digital control board built to enhance adjustments and general control of the heater. Also, it comes with a LED display. This adds to its already impressive ease of control and operation with a clear and eligible parameter display.
Armed with integrated damper control and heat tube scraper, it gives nothing but the maximum required efficiency. The durability of this pellet stove is never in doubt as it’s made with high-quality materials. These materials give it immense strength and at the same time make it extremely attractive and fanciful.
- Fully automatic.
- Enormous bay window styled door.
- Air wash glass.
- 6 heat settings.
- Value for money.
- Heats well even in the lowest setting.
- Comfortable to set up and operate.
- Stress-free to clean and maintain.
- The pellet burner pot clumps up with burnt pellets.
- A bit noisy.
With the US pellet stove, you’re getting a product that gives you immense options alongside convenience and ease of control.
2. Castle Pellet Stoves 12327 Serenity Wood Pellet Stove– Best for Small Space Areas
Castle 12327 wood pellet stove is one of the few cheap pellet stoves that combines efficiency with style and class. It is made to revolutionize the method through which you heat your room.
The machine boasts an extremely portable and space-saving design. This makes it suitable for just about any room and office of 1500 square feet. It’s made to be one of the safest pallet stoves plus it’s durable and eye-catching. Thus, making it a good fit for just about all rooms and offices.
Amongst the features that make it stand out is its different operational modes. It provides the option of being operated manually, the use of a local thermostat, and timely (mostly weekly) operations.
With the weekly operational mode, you can effectively heat your room on a preset schedule with the aid of the built-in time and calendar. The local thermostat allows you to effectively control and manage the heat output. While in the manual mode, you have the option of selecting amongst five burn levels to suit your needs.
It has a smart controller, that makes it easy to set up and use. Also, the design lacks hidden chambers, corrugations, or tubes. This makes it pretty easy to clean and maintain.
- Various operational modes.
- Over 69.8% thermal efficiency.
- 1500 square feet heating capacity.
- Remote control.
- Easy to clean and maintain.
- Temperature control is top-notch.
- Reliable, attractive and portable.
- Well-built and durable.
- Small and tight hopper.
- The fan is noisy especially during start-up and shutdown.
Castle wood pellet stove is the perfect embodiment of innovation and comfort. You can’t go wrong with this product.
3. Comfortbilt Pellet Stove HP22– Best for Keeping the Room Warm Always
Comfortbilt pellet is another powerful and well-built pellet stove with a beautiful design and lots of fantastic features. Not only is it attractive and sleek, but also efficient and durable.
This pellet stove boasts an output of 50,000 BTU, making it effective in heating up to 2800 square feet area. It incorporates a pretty large viewing area which is of the bay design for better view and ease of use. Also, it’s portable and doesn’t take much space.
What makes this unit unique is its extremely powerful ability and even heat distribution. It has a 55lbs hopper capacity, which allows you to enjoy your pellet heater with continuity. Also, the ignition system is automated with a programmable thermostat, thus, giving improved accessibility and controllability.
This product is EPA certified and the durability is never in doubt as it has a year parts warranty. Also, the company provides technical assistance from the moment of purchase.
- Programmable thermostat.
- Powerful blower.
- Auto ignition.
- EPA certified.
- One-year parts warranty.
- Effortless cleaning and maintenance.
- Durable and portable.
- Easy to use and set up.
- Impressive customer service.
- The user manual needs improvement.
Saying that Comfortbilt pallet stove HP22 is one of the most powerful and efficient pallet stoves is not an overstatement. Because that is exactly what it is.
4. Cleveland Iron Works Small Pellets Stove– Most User Friendly
Cleveland small wood pellet stove is an indoor pellet stove designed to work effectively in small spaces. It has an output rated at 25,000 BTUs which heat an area of 800 square feet efficiently.
Like every other modern-day pellet stove, this product is sleek and good looking and fits in just about anywhere. Also, being a freestanding pellet stove allows for it to be positioned at any suitable location ranging from corners to open spaces. It is mobile home approved and safe for indoor use.
Of the notable features of US small wood pellet stove is being user-friendly. It has four heat settings and pilot settings. These features coupled with its adjustable thermostat allows you to select your desired heat specification at any particular time. It is also thermostat ready and comes with remote control. With this, it offers improved ease of control and operation.
The control panel of this product is digitized which makes for a near-flawless operation at all times. It has a LED display which gives you better control of the pellet stove. It also has a large viewing window for better viewing of its operations.
- Air wash glass.
- Digital control panel.
- LED display.
- About 25,000 BTUs for 800 square feet area.
- Remote control.
- Economical and heats the room well.
- Value for money.
- Easy to load and clean.
- Doesn’t take up much space.
- Cannot hold more than a bag of pellet at a time.
- It is not gas conversion compatible.
With the usual importance placed on comfort, Cleveland company small wood pellet stove offers this feature in abundance and other impressive properties.
5. Comfortbilt HP22i Pellet Stove Insert Carbon Black – Most Safe to Operate
Comfortbilt HP22i pellet stove is renowned for its portability, quality design, durability and effectiveness over the years. It is designed to give users maximum satisfaction while also placing safety at the top of the priority list.
This unit has an output of 42000 BTU for effective heat of a 2000 square feet area. It has a programmable thermostat that allows you to vary the intensity of the heat to suit your need and also maximize your pellets. The powerful blower coupled with the design of the heat exchange system extracts maximum heat drivable from the pellets.
Unlike similar devices, Comfortbilt HP22i pellet stove has a hopper that can hold 47 pounds of pellets at once. The removable ash pan automatically collects the ashes from burnt pellets. And, the pellets burn well that you will only need to empty the pan once in two weeks. This makes it easy to clean. It also has a heavy gauge exterior in grey which aids the cleaning.
The device has five power settings enabling you to vary the rate at which the pellets are burnt and the amount of heat produced. At the lowest heat setting, for instance, it can burn continuously for 24 hours without a drop in efficiency. It is also EPA certified rated to burn with 81% efficiency.
- 42,000 BTU output to heat 2,000 square feet area.
- 47 pounds of pellets at once.
- Removable ash pan.
- EPA certified.
- Dimension: 21 inches width, 27 inches depth a d 37 inches height.
- Stress-free to clean.
- Heats effectively even at the lowest heat setting.
- Durable and effective.
- Easy to use.
- Sometimes it gives smell.
For a user friendly and relatively cheap pellet stove, you can hardly do better than Comfortbilt HP22i pellet stove.
6. PelPro 2,500 sq. ft. Pellet Stove– Best for Large Spaces
Do you want the best pellet stove that offers a near perfect environmentally responsible heating? PelPro pellet stove might just be the best thing you have ever come across. It is a beautifully crafted and compact pellet stove that delivers heat effectively with little to no environmental effect.
This unit has a 130lb hopper capacity which provides a continuous supply of heat for about 48 hours. It makes use of automatic ignition to aid your convenience and ease of access. Add to this is the intuitive dial thermostat, you have a product that provides a balanced heated environment.
It has an output of 50,000 BTUs and as such can effectively heat a 2500 square feet area. Also, it’s a powerful 265 CFM variable speed blower responsible for quick even distribution of heats. The efficiency is rated to be 89% and it uses a 3 inches or 4 inches pellet venting system.
What makes this pellet stove unique is its ability to neutralize C02 and provide environmentally responsible heating. It is mobile homes approved as it includes fresh air intake. And besides, it’s durable and effective and has a one year warranty with a lifetime toll free phone support.
- Auto ignition.
- Powerful 265 CFM.
- 50,000 BTUs to heat 2500 square feet area.
- 130 lbs hopper capacity.
- Heat quickly.
- Safe and durable.
- Efficient and user-friendly.
- Easy to set up.
- It is heavy.
If you get this product, you sure would have gotten an environmentally friendly pellet stove that suit for large space on your hands.
7. Comfortbilt HP22 Pellet Stove Burgundy
This is another wonderful pellet stove by Comfortbilt. Like the earlier discussed Comfortbilt pellet stove, it is environmentally friendly, effective and durable. It’s relatively cheap for the work it does and EPA-certified.
The machine has 55 pounds of hopper capacity that can supply heat continuously for 36 hours. And a maximum output of 50,000 BTU that can heat 2200 square feet space. It also incorporates a powerful 265 CFM variable-speed blower that helps to distribute heat evenly.
The freestanding pellet stove is approved for use with mobile homes that include fresh air intake. This is possible as it produces a clean burn that meets the emission standards required in the United States. Also, it is CO2 neutral and environment friendly.
Comfortbilt pellets stove stand out among its peers as it incorporates an adjustable digital thermostat. This enables you to control the intensity of the heat provided. It uses either 3 inches or 4 inches pellet venting. You can vent it straight to a stove chimney or use an adapter to connect it to a 6 inches stove venting.
- 50000 BTU output to heat 2200 square feet area.
- 55 pounds of hopper capacity.
- Digital thermostat.
- Easy to set up.
- Attractive and sleek looks.
- Safe and durable.
- Fuel feed alarm sometimes goes off and will require it to shut down and then restart.
As it is known that safety is the topmost priority of Comfortbilt, this product does not disappoint on that front while also being extremely durable and attractive.
What is a Pellet Stove? Background and history
A pellet stove is a furnace style burner similar to the regular wood stove. It helps to provide a considerable amount of heat to homes and industrial spaces. But, unlike conventional wood pellet stove, this heater uses biomass as their energy source.
History of pellet stove
The history of pellet stove dated back to the year of the great depression and Pres-a-Log of the 1930s. However, this was to be silenced by the great abundance of fossil fuels. And their higher demand that cuts across the globe for much of the 20th century.
In the 1970s, the pellet burner met a fortunate stand during the energy crisis in the United States. During this period, the price of gasoline soared and became scarce. This led to invention of the pellet stove as it’s less expensive, efficient in heat production and safe to use.
During the 1980s, this item experiences a surge in demand but later declined with a rise in energy prices. In this way, the pellet heater has found its final and ultimate fame in the last 10 years. Thanks to the uncertainties in the price of oil and natural gases.
This time around, families and industries in the western world have drastically shifted from fossil fuels to biomass stove. Thanks to its affordability, stability, hazard-free, and clean form of use with lower emission of carbon monoxide.
What are pellets?
A pellet is a naturally occurring fuel for powering pellet burners. It’s obtained from compressed biomass products of agricultural and industrial waste. And has a high combustion process and is easy to store without its deprecating in vitality, even for a longer period.
How do pellet stove work? Principles of operation.
If you’re wondering how the best pellet stove work, we’ll walk you through the process of pellet burner operation below.
- The first thing is to load the pellets in a hopper. However, hopper varies among models and sizes of the stove. Generally, the sizes range between 20 and 45kg. When you load them fully, this will save you from everyday loading.
- Secondly, a connected and electric-powered auger will drive in and deliver the pellet to the burner ring by rotating. The stove sensor helps determine the amount of pellet needed to emit a certain amount of heat. Broadly speaking, the faster and the more pellets feed, the greater the heat emitted and vice-versa.
- An electric fan will blow air to the fire so the pellets are efficiently burnt and considerable heat is released to the environment. However, some of the best pellet stoves can self-ignite as they have the required feature. Others can only be manually ignited. Whatsoever the case may be, the effectiveness of the ventilation depends on the model’s quality.
- Lastly, the pellet stove has a heat exchanger located at the top of the burner. The function of the heat exchanger is to make the air hot. It’s this heated air that’ll be discharged to the surroundings through the series of tubes fitted to the exchanger. Although you may experience a slight heat difference as these vary among models.
Is pellet heater safe? Are pellet stoves worth it?
The best pellet stove is safe to use and worth every investment in it. However, while using this burner, extreme care must be taken as carelessness can lead to an accident. The most common being an abnormal increase in temperature that poses a big threat to lives.
This begins with an automated shutting down of the stove that mustn’t be interrupted while still in use. Also, since most pellets are made of agricultural and industrial products that are rich in carbon compounds, incomplete combustion of these carbon compounds is disastrous. It may lead to the expulsion of carbon monoxide into the atmosphere, making it lethal to health and can cause death.
Although, this shouldn’t be seen as a challenge as you can install a carbon monoxide detector on it. Fortunately, the best pellet stove has a glass at its front which is an advantage as you can view the combustion process. However, living beings should stay away from the glass as it is always hot. Or you can hide it in a corner with limited passersby or guard it round.
In general, the best pellet stove is worth every dollar invested in it as there’s always a solution to problems arising from it.
Types of pellet stoves
Pellet stoves seem to look alike, still, they vary among models and are of different types. So, below are the three major types.
Specially designed for small rooms, the Of air pellet stove is the most effective and environment friendly. It is safe to operate as its efficiency is close to 80%. You can even control it using the stove sensor called a thermostat. Also, some models can run autonomously once pellets are fully loaded in them.
In general, Of air burner works by increasing the temperature of the air as it passes through the hot wall. This air will then be prevented from making direct contact with the flame. And the hot air will be blown by the fan into space.
Just like the Of air, the Channelable stove also emits heat but at the center of the house. They are similar to the boiler as heat is expelled through the front or tubes.
The hydro stoves on the other hand are more effective in distributing heat. During the boiling of water in the circuit, the conveyed heat is distributed by the radiator such that the heat is evenly dispersed across the room.
To make the stove works perfectly, a heat detector can be installed on it. This will prevent an incessant increase in temperature and pressure.
Benefits of burning pellets
There are lots of benefits of burning pellets, apart from the heat they produce. These are highlighted below.
- Safe and release low or no carbon monoxide, (CO2) which is the principal cause of acid rain and greenhouse effects.
- Easy to transport and store. This is due to their small sizes and compactness.
- Renewable as they are naturally occurring biomass. Most come from agricultural and industrial waste.
- Affordable compared to normal fossil fuels. Also, their price is stable throughout the year.
- Odorless, harmless and mostly brownish or dark in color so they can’t irritate you.
- Even if you keep or store pellets for months, you can’t suffer any explosion or denigration in quality, once they aren’t in contact with water or chemicals.
- Make the environment clean as they’re environmental waste converted to energy.
Also, we’ll work you through the tips and tricks on how to safely store pellets at home. This will make it easier to do by yourself.
Where to store pellets out of wet?
Pellets are easier to store due to their compact sizes. However, you should be very careful about where to store them. This is because improper storage will lead to deterioration of quality alongside wasting of investment. You may even experience much choking smoke and low heating while using denigrated pellets.
To store pellets, look for either inside storage silo or large tank that’s free from humidity. This container should be ventilated but the air shouldn’t convey humidity with it. One more thing, don’t forget to keep the pellet away from the bare floor as this may also convey humidity.
In general, a dry environment, mostly indoor is the most favorable place to store pellets. Unlike the firewood that’s rugged and easier to store. But if there’s no place to store it inside, there is often some outside storage you can use.
Continue reading to choose your choice of inside and outside storage of pellets.
Store pellets inside
When you’re in a lack of space in your apartment, the best place to store pellets will be inside your apartment’s garage. But make sure the place is well ventilated, moist and humidity-free. If these requirements are met, buy and store more pellets, depending on your garage size.
Store pellets outside
If your house doesn’t have the above-mentioned storage, taking it outside will be the next option. But where should you keep it? There are many options for this. For instance, if your house has a garden in it, build an attic with a large terrace that can accommodate as many pellets as you wish.
You can further improve your attic’s functionalities by covering it with shed. This will enhance the safety of the pellet by keeping it away from humidity and extreme weather.
When the house you’re living still has no garden or yard for outside storage, then consider storage on the cabinet. Most modern houses have this. Just make sure you place a dry substance immediately on the cabinet before dropping the biomass on it.
You’ve gotten enough pellets for use during the upcoming winter, the only tool remaining is the best pellet stove. But how do you choose the best pellet stove that’ll meet your needs? Continue below.
Things to keep in mind when buying the best pellet stoves
The best pellet stove is the one that works perfectly without any hassle when in use. It easy to use, durable, and stylishly designed. Besides, the heat output is evenly distributed within the home without giving off smoke.
Price and quality of the burner
The first factor we’ve considered for the best pellet stove is the price and quality of the burner. These two criteria often go together.
Buying a cost-effective product is ideal and this varies with the manufacturing quality. The best pellet stove is the one with an effective heat output, good design, remote control, Wi-Fi connectivity, etc. So the price of the aforementioned stove will not be the same as the one that has few of those qualities.
However, regardless of the price tag, all the available products on our list are of high-quality. In case you’re not choosing from the best pellet stoves above, make sure you check the product you finally settled for complies with the mandatory European safety certifications. This will assure you that the product you’re about to buy is reliable and tested.
Energy efficiency and output power
Another feature you need to consider is energy efficiency and the output of the burner. We mean the amount of heat your pellet stove can generate during the combustion process. So, when choosing the best pellet stove, make sure you buy the product that doesn’t only fit into your room, but also distribute heat evenly.
The best pellet stove is always designed in a way that you can quickly determine the required heat needed for your room to get warm. Power output ranges from 40,000 – 65,000 BTU or may vary slightly but all have a success record of 80% and above.
The design and beauty of the stove is another thing to look into. Thankfully, all the best pellet stoves available in our guide are modern styled and designed. They are versatile in look and will complement your room’s beauty as they’re made to match all room design.
Kind of hopper
The funnel-like structure used for the storage of pellets is called the Hopper. This hopper helps to simplify the heating process as it helps directly add pellets to the burner at a higher speed. They vary in sizes and the smallest is the one that accommodates 15KG of pellets.
However, for top filling pellet type stove, they can accommodate up to 30KG of pellets. Whatsoever the size may be, the bigger the burner tank, the more comfortable you feel as they’ll save you from regular buying of pellets. Some may even store up to 100 KG of the pellet, imagine how long this will last you on average use.
Availability of space and placement
When shopping for the best pellet stove, take the time to check and measure the available space in your room. This will help you determine the size of the stove you need to buy and the effectiveness of the machine. Also, when installing it, make sure you fix it at the best location to avoid the odd distribution of heat and accident.
Keep highly flammable substances like fossil fuels, and another substance away from the stove. You shouldn’t also forget to keep this machine near an electrical inlet to plug it and create a space for the smoke to pass out.
Performance and preference
Checking on the performance of the stove is also essential as this will aid selection. If for example, you‘re the type who shares the building with people and loves warm air, kindly buy a heater with temperature control. A burner with a performance rate below 80% is not good. However, to check the performance rating read the manual or feedbacks.
Interior material design
While some pellet stoves are cheap as they are designed with poor quality metals, however, others are designed with cast iron. And it is this stove iron type that you will find most among our products. The cast iron built stove is highly resistant to temperature and can store the heat for a longer period without cooling, even, after prolong turn Off.
In addition to the safety measures, you should consider extending the smoke of the burner outside your building roof. The aim is to follow the rule of the regulations for thermal installations in buildings. But this may be difficult to accomplish when you live in a community. Otherwise, you will seek permission from your neighbors.
Talking about the feature needed to secure the best pellet stove without talking about safety is half complete. In our guide, all the reviewed products are safe to use.
To detect if your burner comes with a safety feature when the temperature becomes high, it will turn off automatically. Only to be turned On again when the conditions are regulated.
Ease of Maintenance
To some users, the pellet heater is easy to maintain, we believe it. Because they come with parts that are easy to detach and clean. Although, you will hardly see much ashes on the ash pan. To clean the burner, simply pull out the ash pan and discard the ashes on it. This should be done 2-3 times a week to prevent it from clogging the heater.
Also, don’t forget to mop the glass and some of the best pellet stoves have self-cleaning features. In general, whether you always check and maintain the machine or not, you should invite a professional to inspect and service the stove every year.
The day to day improvement in technology has made it easier for you to control a pellet stove. Some stoves can be controlled remotely through remote or smartphone, once you connect them. The modern pellet burner uses Wi-fi. This can be used to switch On the stove and adjust the temperature from a distance.
Wood stoves Vs. Pellet stoves in comparison
Contrary to popular belief that wood stove and pellet stove are the same due to their physical look. However, a professional or long term user of both would quickly differentiate these two devices. This is because they are not always the same.
Two models of pellet stoves have more differences than similarities. So we will show you the differences and similarities between the two heaters below.
Environmental friendliness: The best pellet stove is environment friendly. This is because the fuel which is the pellet is easy to access. You don’t need any deforestation before getting this energy source. Unlike the wood stove that uses wood or log, pellets are waste products from agricultural or industrial centers.
Operation mode: To use a pellet stove, an electric connection is needed. The ignition of light and fanning only works when you’ve the machine connected. But the wood stove doesn’t require electricity before it works.
Economic view: Economically, the pellets are cheap and available all time of the season. Unlike the wood whose price is expensive but remain stable all the time. Also, the cost of obtaining a pellet stove is higher, unlike the wood stove. This may be due to its electrical inclusion, the presence of hopper, etc. that aren’t available in the woodstove.
Ease of control of temperature: The temperature range of the best pellet stove is easy to control. This is because the stove control panel can be automated. However, a wood stove requires manual operation and can be difficult to control.
Cleanness: If you want a device that’ll give you a considerable heat without dirtying your home and office, the best pellet stove is the real deal. This item leaves considerable amount of ash on the ash pan of the device. You can easily dispose it. The smoke being emitted is not poisonous and dirty like the woodstove.
The smoke from the woodstove is always poisonous, creating a threat to your life. And, it will also darken your house.
Both pellet stove and wood stove generate a considerable amount of heat to your home or environment, depending on the input. Also, the installation of both is easy and similar. Mind you, you’ll need an external opening place to run an exhausting pipe that’ll take the smoke away from the device.
Pellet stove installation. How to install a pellet stove?
The installation of the best pellet stove isn’t as easy as many people often think. But if you’re familiar with the coupling of machines, the tips below will allow you to perform the installation yourself. Otherwise, invite an expert to do it for you.
Note: Before you start the installation process, make sure you reach out to the neighborhood council to take permission concerning the installation process. Although this may be difficult to achieve, especially if you live in an apartment. But if you own your house, it will be easier.
Also, make sure the installation is done in a vertical position and not horizontal. But before that, we’ll like to share with you, the required tools needed to make the installation.
Tools needed for the best pellet stove installation include: screw for tightening bolt and nuts, a chimney (stainless steel is preferable), pipe elbows to join pipes together, clamps to hold in the best position, holed cap to cover the end of the pipe, a union tee, a drill bit to borehole and ladder.
Now, we’ll proceed with the step by step method to carry out the installation.
- Find a suitable and closer place to an electrical power source with abundant ventilation. This will make the stove operate perfectly and effectively.
- Proceed to mark a strategic spot where you’ll fix the pipe outlet. The recommended length of the pipe is 8cm.
- Bring up your drill bit to bore hole into the already marked spot on the wall.
- Move the first section of the pipe through the available opening on the wall. However, should the opening be larger than the pipe, patch it with plaster or cement.
- To keep the pipe away from exposure, you can guide it with rubber trim.
- Put the stove in the best position you marked out. Then fit it with the already installed tube from the inside of the building.
- Outside the building, you’ll need to connect the tube with the union tee. And it’s from there that you’ll continue with the vertical installation of the pipe.
- Fix tube that’s proportional to your roof length and it’s from this tube end that you’ll proceed.
- Following this is the tightening of the tube to the external walls of the building. It is during this stage that your clamps and screws are useful. After this, you can start keeping yourself warm during winter.
You’ve installed your pellet burner, and have started using it. But how do you keep it clean always without stress? Continue reading below.
How to clean a pellet burner?
Wondering when and how your pellet stove should be cleaned? Well, this is easy and stress-free to do. What you need to do is to look directly into the burner. Check if the stove is producing more residues than usual (even if the pellet remains the same).
The dirtiness of the glass is also instrumental in determining when the pellet stove requires cleaning. Although, some of the best pellet stove has a self-cleaning feature that allows them to clean automatically. In general, two parts of the stove needs cleaning.
They are, the inner and the glass part of the burner. Implement the easy steps below to achieve good cleaning.
For a self-cleaning pellet stove, firstly turn it off and wait till the heat subsides, then press the clean button.
If your pellet stove lack this feature, you can always clean it manually. However, how often you should clean the stove depends on the quality of the pellets and the usage.
- Start the cleaning process by removing ash from the ash pan using a regular household vacuum.
- Disassemble and remove it from where you install it.
- Notable places to be clean after removal includes all the inlets and grills of the burner.
- Use neat and moist cloth with good detergent to clean. This will quickly remove the residues.
- Avoid mixing hard chemical detergents with water for cleaning. Also, don’t use a hard brush as this may spoil the brazier.
- After successfully cleaning the stove, there will be a free inflow of air to the combustion chamber. Thus, no room for the accumulation of soot formation.
The cleaning of the stove glass is good. This is not for optimum performance, but for a clear view of what’s going on in the machine.
To do this, use a neutral glass spray to clean coated glass. But ensure this doesn’t come in contact with the paint and other sensitive parts of the stove to prevent scratching.
In addition to the above, we’ll be providing you with some tips below to optimize your pellet stove performance.
Best pellet stove tips
Tips to enhance the best pellet stove experience
To fully optimize the performance of your pellet stove, we will work you through the 10 tips that have been proven effective.
- Make sure you carefully select the best pellet stove as it’s capable of recovering maximum heat from the combustion gases.
- Use a quality tube made of cast iron. Ensure it’s properly sealed to link the smoke outlet to the outer pipe. Otherwise, you’ll experience it. And this can result in significant heat loss, especially, if the pipe is of low quality.
- Buy and use quality dry pellets. However, if you suspect any humidity in the pellet, don’t use it. Instead, place it in an open space or ventilated area for total drying before usage.
- Check the manufacturer’s instruction to know the required air needed for effective combustion. In case the available air isn’t sufficient, check whether you can draw more air through a direct pipe from outside or through the available air in the room.
- Install the best pellet stove properly so that the emitted heat is captured and distribute evenly within the room.
- Discard the ashes and other residues in the burner on a regular basis. Also, don’t forget to place the pellet burner at a safe and strategic place. This will ease disposing of ashes and residues, refilling of pellet, and maintenance.
- Adhere strictly to the safety distance policy recommended by the manufacturer between your living room and the artifact present there. This will help prevent the eventuality of overheating that may arise from the stove.
- Use the best pellet stove with alternative air vents. These vents are often located either at the front, side, or top of the stove. Also, some of the best pellet stoves use more than one vents.
- Use a fan regulator as this will be easier for you to have more control of the air vents and divert it anywhere you wish within the room.
- Schedule occasional maintenance of the stove and clean the glass door using harmful free detergent. This will enhance clarity.
Best pellet stove maintenance tips
To put your pellet stove in the best condition, it is essential you give it befitting and proper maintenance. Through this, the durability of your burner will be extended and its safety will be enhanced. Note that maintenance varies among models.
To cut it short, below are the general maintenance guidelines you should follow to achieve better performance on the best pellet stove. These are daily, weekly, periodic and annual maintenance.
Daily maintenance tasks
Hopper: Check whether there’s no accumulated dust and debris in the tank. If there’s any, don’t hesitate to dispose off to avoid the consumption of space. Also, make sure you load the stove with pellet so it doesn’t finish while in use.
Burner: For the burner, make sure you check for any clogging in its outlet. Should there be any, don’t hesitate to remove it.
Weekly maintenance tasks
Ash container: Always empty the ashes left in the container by removing the ash plate. You can do this either once or twice a week. Even, observing this monthly is acceptable, only if you use it occasionally.
Periodic maintenance tasks
Burner: Just as you used to clean the pellet heater daily, you also need to clean it periodically. But this time around, deep cleaning is necessary once you notice any debris accumulation.
Ash Container: The ash plate is where ash drops on the stove through the vent. So proper disposing will lead to effective burning.
Glass: Always clean the glass of the pellet burner periodically and avoid long term cleaning. Otherwise, the residue and flame would have accumulated to an extent. And that will cause you more time to remove.
Heat exchanger: Hire a professional to carry out the cleaning of the heat exchanger, except if the model is self-cleaning.
Annual maintenance tasks
Even though you have observed the daily, weekly, and periodic maintenance, still the annual maintenance is necessary. But this time around, you can invite an expert to carry out the operation for you.
Best pellet stove safety tips
Having the best pellet stove is safe to use, still, there are some precautions you need to adhere to. This will enhance and complement the usage.
- For instance, if you have children and keep pets in your home, keep the burner away from their reach.
- You should pay special attention to the glass as it’ll get hot when the stove is On.
- You can install a detector in your room to raise alert once the level of the carbon monoxide rises beyond normal. But if you’re unable to do that, always check the room often and often.
- Ensure you dispose the ashes only when cool to avoid catching fire.
- Employ the service of a professional to inspect your stove annually.
- Read through the instruction from the manual that comes with a particular pellet stove and applies it.
- Use the best pellet stove but don’t just proceed to use anyhow pellet in fueling it.
Frequently asked questions
Who are those in need of the best pellet stove?
Everybody needs the best pellet stove. Especially those who live in a cold climate. This is because it can generate a significant amount of heat to keep them safe. Economic wise, the best pellet stove is affordable and its fuel which is pellets is easy to access as it’s available all year round.
Is the best pellet stove environment friendly?
Yes, it is environmentally friendly. The best pellet stove releases little or no poisonous gas to the environment, unlike other heat-generating devices. Even the carbon monoxide it releases can be trapped by installing a carbon monoxide detector with it.
Which one should I go for between the best pellet stove and wood stove?
The choice is yours, however, if you’re looking to have a safe and overall pocket-friendly device that is more effective, kindly go for the best pellet stove. This device is easy to install and releases no smoke to your room. In fact, you won’t even spot any dirt in your household compared to the wood stove that always expels dark smoke.
The legal requirement for using the best pellet stove
You’ve finally decided on the best pellet stove that’ll meet your needs. It’s important you’ve knowledge about the legal requirements guiding the use of pellet stove in your country of residence.
To better understand the requirement guiding the use of pellet stove in the United States of America, click here.
Concerning Europe, a new regulation will be introduced in 2022. This will ensure manufacturers of solid fuel equipment to comply with much stricter emission requirements that have a positive impact on the environment.
In Germany, Switzerland and Austria, work is being done for this purpose. This, through the installation of high-performance devices and low gas emissions. And, with the proper maintenance of these devices.
Best pellet stove comparison chart
|MODEL||HEATING CAPACITY||BURNS TIME||THERMAL EFFICIENCY||BTUS||DIMENSIONS|
|Vogelzang VG5790 Hopper Pellet Stove||2,800 Sq. Ft.||80 Hours||N/A||65,000||27 x 27.75 x 35 inches|
|US Stove 5660 Pellet Stove||2,200 Sq. Ft.||60 Hours||N/A||48,000||26.25 x 24.25 x 30.5 inches|
|Castle 12327 Serenity Wood Pellet Stove||1,500 Sq. Ft.||24 Hours||N/A||31,960||23.75 x 18.5 x 34 inches|
|Comfortbilt Pellet Stove HP22||2,800 Sq. Ft.||20 Hours||86%||50,000||24 x 30 x 35 inches|
|US Stove GW1949 Wiseway Pellet Stove||2,000 Sq. Ft.||36 Hours||N/A||40,000||15 x 52 x 24 inches|
|US Stove Large Hopper Pellet Stove||2,800 Sq. Ft.||60 Hours||N/A||65,000||27 x 35 x 27.75 inches|
|US Small Wood Pellets Stove||1,800 Sq. Ft.||40 Hours||N/A||36,000||28.5 H x 24.5 D inches|
|ComfortBilt HP50S Pellet Stove||2,400 Sq. Ft.||24 Hours||81%||44,000||21 x 27 x 37 inches|
|Us Stove 5500m King Pellet Burner||2,400 Sq. Ft.||24 Hours||N/A||65,000||25 x 25 x 34 Inches|
|PelPro 2,000 sq. ft. Pellet Stove||2,000 Sq. Ft.||48 Hours||89%||42,000||33 x 22 x 23 inches|
|PelPro Wood Pellets Stove||2,200 Sq. Ft||60 Hours||88%||50,000||32 H x 29 D inches|
|Pleasant Hearth 35,000 BTU Medium Pellet Stove||1750 Sq. Ft.||24 Hours||85%||35,000||31 x 30 x 43.75 inches|
We have come to the end of this guide, and believed the use of the best pellet stove for generating heat is universal. Many people use the best pellet stove, not only because of its safety, alongside its effective cost. But due to the availability of energy source (pellet) of this burner all time.